Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tuesday Ten: 10 Tips for Growing Out Your Hair

Good morning ladies...  I've decided to devote Tuesday's thread as the "Tuesday Ten".  I've seen many blogs use this theme and I think it's really fun.  Today's topic is all about growing those long, luxurious locks we all pin about.  Because my hair length seems to have hit it's plateau, I know there must be something I can try to get it to grow longer.  Here are ten tips I found in my investigation.



1. Trim:  I know it sounds ridiculous, or at least it does to me, but the best way to get some extra length on your locks is to get your hair trimmed every 2-3 months.  No, a trim doesn't MAKE IT GROW... but it does take off the dead ends which cause breakage.  It doesn't have to be much that you're taking off, a half-inch or so should do the trick in keeping split ends away and your hair healthy so that it can grow.

2. Don't wash your hair everyday!!  You might think a daily wash-rinse-and-repeat is helping but it isn't.  If you're hair doesn't get too greasy, try limiting your washes to three times a week.  Here are some of my favorite hair styles when I get towards the end of my "non-washing" days...



3. Eat a well-balanced diet to keep your hair strong. Nuts, fish, fruit and green leafy vegetables are a must to getting strong beautiful locks.

4. Go all Marcia Brady on your hair and PAMPER your locks!  You like a good massage don't you?  Well so does your hair.  Your scalp and hair follicles need circulation!  Give your hair daily scalp massages by brushing your hair daily, head flipped forward, with a boar bristle brush.  When you're in the shower give your scalp the massage it deserves, mimic what you have done during a shampoo at the salon.  Try massaging your scalp with this beauty favorite from Aveda:


5. Watch the heat!!  Most of us know the damage heating tools bring to our poor hair.  Straightening irons, curling irons and blowdryers might make our hair look nice but they're burning our hair.  Let your hair air dry as much as you can.  When you have to use these heating tools make sure you're protecting your hair with a serum of some sort.  Here's a few of my favorites:

6. Try a supplement.  I like to take Biotin and a B vitamin (for all your vegetarians out there).  Biotin has vitamins in it that promotes healthy skin, nails and hair.

7. Don't brush wet hair.. Use a wide tooth comb to prevent breakage when brushing.  When combing wet hair, start at the ends and work your way up.

8. Keep it moisturized... use a coconut oil treatment to keep your hair strong and moisturized from all of the damage you put it through.

9.  Stay hydrated!  Yup, that's right keeping your body hydrated with enough fluids is also important for healthy hair to drink up girls!

10.  Careful using rubber bands and hair accessories that break hair.  Also, my hair dresser warned me not to put my hair in a pony tail after washing it.  Your hair is much more vulnerable when it's wet.  If you like to put it in a bun when going to bed with wet hair, try using one of these...

No comments:

Post a Comment